NEMT AHEC Program
Research and Explore Awesome Careers in Healthcare is a one-day program that takes place at a local healthcare facility and provides high school students with the opportunity to explore the healthcare field through a variety of hands-on station activities. Professionals from the sponsoring healthcare facility lead the stations, volunteering their time and talent to mentor students and share their expertise.
REACH usually contains a series of 7-8 stations, each approximately 30-45 minutes in length, led by professionals from the sponsoring healthcare facility. The total number and length of stations can vary depending on the sponsoring healthcare facility. Students are divided into groups and rotate from station to station throughout the day. The first few minutes of each station is a brief “lecture” by the provider about how they got into healthcare and their educational journey. The remainder (and majority) of the station is devoted to a hands-on activity led by the provider. The hands-on activities are designed to give the students a more realistic impression of the particular healthcare career.
- The NE MT AHEC has the ability to coordinate a REACH program for any community
- REACH runs approximately 8:30 am to 3:00 pm on a normal school day
- REACH is generally open to 9th and 10th grade students, but this will vary depending on participating schools & the size
of the sponsoring healthcare facility.
- No cost to the student
- Students must submit an application to be considered for acceptance into REACH
- Each student will receive a scrubs top with the REACH logo
- Lunch & snacks will be provided to the students
- Certificate of completion will be presented to each student